Would it surprise you to know that you’re likely in contact with mold every single day? Unbeknownst to many, mold spores float around invisibly both inside and outside. Before you deep clean the house, it’s important to recognize that there are acceptable mold levels. Yet, letting mold get out of control after a leak or flood could end in mold damage

While trying to get rid of all mold spores in your home would be a fruitless activity, that doesn’t mean mold can’t present a problem. Mold spores in the air are typically safe mold levels. However, when mold starts to appear on surfaces, it can be unsafe for the structural integrity of a home as well as a person’s health. Restore Remodel Renew offers mold removal services to make sure mold doesn’t take over your home. 

What Are Acceptable Mold Levels? 

Smelling or seeing mold typically indicates that there is an unsafe mold level. Otherwise, you probably don’t need to enlist any mold remediation services. Again, mold spores float all around us, so there are acceptable mold levels. When it’s floating around harmlessly, there isn’t anything to worry about. 

Mold can be found in both residential and commercial buildings typically in areas where there is excessive moisture. So, it’s not uncommon to see or smell mold after a leak or a flood. That doesn’t mean that these are the only times to worry about mold. Commercial and residential building owners should be aware that any area with excessive moisture could lead to a spread of this fungi. 

Common Types of Mold 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are 3 common kinds of indoor mold that may be found throughout residential and commercial buildings: 

  • Cladosporium – Commonly found on wood or tile, Cladosporium looks dark green to brown in color. 
  • Penicillium – This is one of the most common indoor molds. You’re likely to find it on moldy fruit or areas covered with moist materials (like a wet towel). Penicillium looks green and feels powdery to the touch. 
  • Aspergillus – This kind of mold is commonly found on walls and insulation. It comes in a variety of colors and usually stretches lengthwise across areas in thick layers. 

These types of molds aren’t as dangerous as other ones, such as Stachybotrys (black mold), but can still cause structural damage as well as health complications if it’s not dealt with quickly. Instead of trying to identify what kind of mold is growing across your home, contact the professionals at Restore Remodel Renew. 

Safe Mold Levels vs. Unsafe Mold Levels: How to Spot Them  

Mold can grow on almost virtually any object. This means that individuals may find fungi growing on walls or insulation, but may also find it on furniture, clothing, and cardboard. Knowing how to spot the signs of unsafe mold levels can spare hundreds of dollars in repair and unnecessary shopping trips to replace ruined items. 

Some ways to spot a mold overgrowth include: 

  • Identifying areas that are damaged by water. Water-damaged areas are prime real estate for mold overgrowth. While you may not see the mold at first, you might be able to identify the site of the water damage. Look out for discolored patches on the ceiling or wall. Also, signs of water damage may include bubbled-up or peeling sections of a wall or ceiling. 
  • Signs of water leaks. While you may not spot water damage, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a leak that may lead to mold or water damage. Hearing dripping noises without finding the source could mean a water leak. Additionally, a higher water utility bill or a spike in water usage even when all water is turned off may indicate a leak. 
  • Unpleasant, musty smells that seem to have no origin. Sometimes a musty smell can lead to the source of mold overgrowth. It may not smell moldy per se, but will potentially smell wet or rotten. This is because too much mold can make air quality worse. You smell Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) when there is an unacceptable level of mold. 

Why Are Acceptable Mold Levels Important? 

Common molds won’t kill you, but they can certainly cause some unpleasant effects. Mold infestations can cause an uptick in allergies. If your headache, clogged sinuses, and itchy throat clear up upon exiting a building, it’s likely that it’s mold-infested. Allergic reactions may be more severe, especially if people are spending long periods of time in a building with a fungi overgrowth. Severe reactions may include wheezing and shortness of breath. 

Unsafe mold conditions can also lead to deeper health complications. For instance, research indicates there could be a link between developing asthma as a child and high concentrations of indoor mold. Plus, other research shows that too much mold may also lead to memory loss, lethargy, and even hemorrhages in infants. Not to mention, if mold ruins the integrity of a building, parts of it may collapse and hurt people in the process.  

How to Promote Safe Mold Levels 

There are multiple ways to avoid having a moldy home or office. One of the most important tips is to fix any leaks immediately because trapped or stagnant water can appear in as little as 48 hours. The same applies to flooded areas that need to be cleaned up. 

Another tip is to keep an eye on humidity levels. The CDC recommends having humidity levels between 30%-50%. This is extremely important in places that are already humid, like Florida. Proper use of a dehumidifier or air conditioner when appropriate can make it harder for mold to pop up. 

Getting Rid Of Mold Is One of Our Many Services!

Here at Restore Remodel Renew, we have always found it important to fix homes from start to finish. That includes cleaning up mold, repairing any of the damage, and making sure that the mold doesn’t come back. Additionally, that’s why we offer a range of services from water damage clean-up to kitchen remodeling. Contact us to see how we can help you today!